Liverpool expected to allow Minamino to leave after initial Leeds United rejection
Liverpool are now expected to allow Takumi Minamino leave Anfield before 31 January after rejecting an initial approach from Leeds United, according to The Express.
The newspaper reported on Friday [28 January] that the Reds have made an “unexpected breakthrough” in their bid to sign Luis Diaz from Porto. Goal journalist Neil Jones reports that he’s scheduled to have a medical with the Anfield club.
The Express says that with that deal looking likely, it means Liverpool may chance their stance on Leeds target Minamino. The Whites are understood to have made an approach for the Japan international and were told that he wasn’t available.
However, “that could now change in the final days of the transfer window”.
Help us, Takumi. You’re our only hope.
Leeds’ January business has been extremely minimal and way short of what has been actually required.
Almost all season, Marcelo Bielsa has had to contend with major injury issues in almost every position of his squad.
Everyone knew that we had to go out and sign a new midfielder or two this month. However, with just three days left until the transfer window closes, no one has come in.
Mateo Joseph Fernandez has been the only addition so far with the young Spaniard forward joining from Espanyol to join up with the Under-23s.
However, fans are fed up of Under-23s signings and they want to see real investment in the first-team squad done this month.
If we sign Minamo, we expect that it would be a loan deal, similar to the one that took the ex-Red Bull Salzburg attacker to Southampton last season.
Still, even if we do land him, it won’t be enough for Leeds, who really needed two or three fresh faces this month.
In other Leeds United news, Phil Hay shared what he understands about Brenden Aaronson and a possible medical.