By Sam Stone

12th Jan, 2023 | 2:10pm

Finance expert: Andrea Radrizzani entitled to accept Leeds United takeover bid from 'mysterious' consortium

Football finance expert Kieran Maguire has suggested Andrea Radrizzani could sell Leeds United to another buyer if a higher bid arrives.

The Italian businessman is set to relinquish power at Elland Road in January 2024 with the 49ers on track to take a majority share in the club.

The Daily Mail reported (5 January) that there was interest from the Middle East in the Yorkshire side which could put the American franchise’s purchase in jeopardy.

Maguire has since suggested it’s not out of the realm of possibility for a higher bid to be excepted by the current Leeds owner.

“The 49ers apparently own 44 per cent of Leeds United and Andrea Radrizzani owns the other 56 per cent and there’s an option for the 49ers to buy out Radrizzani in 12 months,” said Maguire (Price of Football Podcast, 38m 08s, 11 January).

“We’ve started to see articles in the papers about a mysterious middle-eastern consortium. This could be Radrizzani trying to flush out competition for the 49ers and we don’t know the nature of their option to purchase. It could be if someone comes in with a bid 20 per cent higher than the asking price then he’s entitled to take it.

“Amongst Leeds fans, it’s provoked a reaction. He (Radrizzani) appears to be saying ‘I’ve taken the club as far as I can go in terms of financial support’.”

Dragging on

The takeover of Leeds feels like it has been rumbling on for far too long and the longer questions go unanswered the more speculation will begin to rise. Fans will be hoping for the 49ers to finally purchase the club over the course of the next couple of months to finally put the saga to bed.

At present, it feels as if the club are in a period of limbo with Radrizzani eager to relinquish control. However, It doesn’t appear to be having an impact on transfer business, but if a deal isn’t concluded by the summer it will be interesting to see if the board spend as vigorously as they have done in the past.

It seems the Italian is thoroughly invested in the ongoings at Elland Road at the moment with Leeds backing Jesse Marsch heavily in the transfer window.

Max Wober is soon to be joined by Hoffenheim striker Georginio Rutter as the board look to back the American and easer Leeds’ relegation worries.

In other Leeds United news, the Whites are keen on signing this Wolves player in January.