By David Woods

23rd Jun, 2020 | 9:32am

Nate Silver predicts Leeds clash v Fulham & how Championship ends after latest results

Just eight games stand between Leeds United and the Premier League, and data expert Nate Silver still thinks they are overwhelming favourites to go up as champions. 

That comes after the latest round of results that saw Leeds slip up against Cardiff and West Brom leapfrog them with a 0-0 draw against Birmingham.

However, on his prediction website FiveThirtyEight.com, Silver thinks that Leeds are 97% to win promotion and 70% to lift the Championship.

That represents just a minor drop down from 98% during lockdown.

It also takes into account the fact that, “This league is currently playing matches in empty stadiums. Home-field advantage has been reduced by 60 percent to reflect this change.”

Silver has also predicted the outcome of the blockbuster game on Saturday when Leeds host Fulham at Elland Road.

Silver thinks that Leeds, despite home advantage being reduced, have a 59% chance of winning, with a 25% chance of a draw. Fulham have a 16% shot of springing a surprise.

16% still too big for us

Silver has us down as champions with a three-point lead over West Brom. he also thinks we’ll turn round their superior goal difference.

To do that we’re going to need to find some goals from somewhere after a disappointing afternoon for Bamford last weekend.

Beating Fulham is a big part of that prediction and he has Leeds down as big favourites to do that. 16% for Fulham is still too big for our liking, though, especially after the Cardiff game.

To be honest, we don’t really care about the title at this point in the season, just promotion.

The good news is that Silver has a nine-point buffer between us and the team he thinks will finish third, Brentford.

If that came to pass it would ensure that promotion doesn’t go all the way down to the wire and would be settled with at least two games to go.

That would see promotion secured under the lights at Elland Road on July 15 against Barnsley.

In other Leeds United news, ‘Get rid’, ‘Don’t want to see him start again’ – Many Leeds fans blame one player for 2-0 defeat